Sunday, September 7, 2008

One of my favorite seasons!



Not only was last weekend Labor Day, but it was also the start of one of my favorite times of year: College Football Season!!!


I can remember my parents going to KU football games when I was a child. In those days, I sometimes got to sit on "the hill" overlooking the stadium. I can't recall much about the actual games but I remember loving being outside on beautiful autumn days.


When I first start watching football on TV, I thought the object of the game was to see how many guys you could run in to. I never saw the football. Just big guys pushing each other around. He got one! He got a couple! Oh...he fell down without hitting anyone.


My understanding of the game has progressed quite a bit since then. Actually, football is the one team sport that I'll watch, follow, and enjoy even if I'm not a hard-core fan of either team playing. There's just something beautiful about the sport.


Several years ago, my dad started the tradition of tailgating before every KU home game. When we started, it was a simple affair: store bought fried chicken and me and my parents. The menus for our tailgates these days range from ribs, to french toast for a morning game, to baked brie and Jayhawk decorated cookies. Think of the tailgate as weekly party in a beautiful setting, with family, friends, food, games, and even a little TV to follow the other college football action. So fun!!


And now KU actually even wins some games!

No comments: