Saturday, May 31, 2008

Yard Work Girl

After touring the construction site of the KC Performing Arts Center with my P.E.O. chapter this morning (the concert hall and future home of the KC Symphany is behind me), I tackled all the yard work I should have been doing this spring but managed to put off for various reasons (Australia, scrapbooking, working, swimming, other more-fun-than-yard-work-things, etc).

In about 4 and a half hours today, in addition to making myself look completely disgusting (dirt everywhere, including under my finger nails which drives me crazy), I've managed to:
  • clean the gutters (really old standing water smells really bad, by the way)
  • trim the hedges in my front yard without cutting the extension cord
  • rake up the trimmed hedge branches and a few miscellaneous leaves that got mixed in
  • put new mulch around the tree in the front yard
  • spread down a lime treatment in the front yard, which is what the Tru-Green guy that knocked on my door on Thursday night said I need to get new grass to grow again
  • sweep the driveway (had to use the manual sweeper instead of the blower because some of the little hurricane goodies were stuck to the driveway)
  • move all the remaining firewood from the back yard to the garage.
  • rake up the leaves from the back porch
  • move the wind chimes from the screened-in porch to the hanging basket cord outside
  • re-stake the rain gauge in to the yard. hope it stays because it makes me happy to know how much rain has fallen
  • mix a new batch of weed sprayer and spray for weeds in the front and back
  • discover that yard work accompanied by tunes from an ipod isn't all that bad

The last item on the list may be the best accomplishment of all. Maybe now I'll enjoy yard work more?

No comments: