Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Stepping Back in Time













On Saturday, my parents, grandparents and I went on a little day trip to south, central Kansas. It was awesome! Our first stop was a huge old stone barn. Although I am a farmer's daughter and granddaughter (on both sides of the family), and I used to own farm land, I'm not really that in to barns. But, let me tell you, this barn was neat. I don't know if you can tell from the picture, but it's three stories. And horses used to pull wagons up the ramps to deposit their goods inside. And the stone walls are 12 inches thick. Holy cow! That is thick. It was about 95 degrees when we were there, but the thick stone walls really kept it insulated. On the same property, there's a stone chicken coup built into the side of a hill. I think it looks a bit like a chia pet with funny hair growing out the top.


Our next stop was the small town of Cottonwood Falls, KS. Population about 900. The main street is still brick. Check out the picture of the county courthouse in Cottonwood Falls. Isn't it cool? Is it odd to anyone else that such a neat courthouse would be built in such a small town?
We had dinner at the Grand Central Hotel and Restaurant. It was voted best steak dinner in Kansas or the entire midwest (or something). It didn't disappoint! I don't know what they seasoned the meat with but it was soooo tender and tasty. Yum!!

Driving down the roads of the rural Kansas really made me feel like I was in the 1940s. Old cars. Lots of beat up pickup trucks. Laundry drying on the clothes line. It made me wonder what it would be like to live in a small town. It seems like it would be a nice change. Slower pace of life. Less distractions.

I also loved just driving down back roads that I'd never been on before. I adore Kansas (just ask any of my Chicago friends how much I talked about it when I lived there). But, since I've lived back in Kansas, I haven't gone west of Lawrence very often. I want to make more of an effort to do that. To really see the rest of the state. I love the beauty of the rolling hills. And the rolling wheat. And the open spaces. Yes, I need to take more trips to central and western Kansas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. (If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada. If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).