Sunday, February 18, 2007

World Record Surprise




Yesterday, I drove to Columbia, MO with a couple of friends to watch a USA Swimming meet featuring 19 Olympians. I thought it'd be fun to see some fast swimming by great athletes. Michael Phelps, Natalie Coughlin, Aaron Peirsol, Katie Hoff, etc.

The surprise of the evening came in the 200 fly, when un-shaved, un-tapered, and goatee-sporting Michael Phelps broke the World Record. He was so shocked when he looked at the scoreboard and saw his time. Judging from his reaction, he totally did not expect to swim that fast. It was so exciting to watch! And so unexpected!

Seeing Michael swim in person is totally different than watching him on TV. The efficiency and beauty of his stroke don't really come through on TV. During his fly, his chin just rests on top of the water and stays completely still despite the constant motion of his arms and legs. It truly looks effortless.

Watching fast swimming always makes me slighly nostalgic. A couple of the competitors yesterday are my age. It made me wonder, what if I'd stayed in shape? How fast would I be swimming now? Did I miss out on something great by retiring after college? I always decide that I made the right decision. I still love to swim, but I also love having time to experience other life adventures.

But, it was fun to be back in that world for a day, if only as a spectator.

No comments: